Skip to main content

Dominos

     For the annual science fair, us 8th graders are allowed to do a Rube Goldberg. In case you didn't know, Rube Goldbergs are machines that react from a reaction, like dominos. To learn more visit this link. I am participating in this creative madness and building my own. You can use anything really, but it is quite exciting to use everyday objects and see what you can manipulate them to do. 
       For example, sending a marble down egg cartons which knocks down dominos which hits a glass of water which......you get the point. There are endless combinations, really, all you have to do is think.
      Maybe the most fun thing about Rube Goldbergs are that they require a lot of thought and imagination. Surfing the web for ideas only gets you so far. If you really want this machine to be uniquely your won masterpiece, you have to use your noggin'. Your thought process when making a Rube Goldberg is mostly guess and check. This system of guess and check can be made into a metaphor (like most things.)
         For me, Rube Goldbergs represent how simple it is to make a difference. By pusing the one domino, a who chain reaction starts. If I smile at one person, they may pass on the smile in the form of a compliment and so on. The poem below is a great example of "smile dominos."

She smiled at a sorrowful stranger.
The smile seemed to make him feel better.
He remembered past kindnesses of a friend
and wrote him a thank-you letter.
The friend was so pleased with the thank-you
that he left a large tip after lunch.
The waitress, surprised by the size of the tip,
bet the whole thing on a hunch.
The next day she picked up her winnings,
and gave part to a man on the street.
The man on the street was grateful;
for two days he’d had nothing to eat.
After he finished his dinner,
he left for his small dingy room.
(He didn’t know at the moment
that he might be facing his doom.)
On the way he picked up a shivering puppy
and took him home to get warm.
The puppy was very grateful
to be in out of the storm.
That night the house caught on fire.
The puppy barked the alarm.
He barked ’til he woke the whole household
and saved everybody from harm.
One of the boys that he rescued
grew up to be President.
All this because of a simple smile
that hadn’t cost a cent.

Barbara Hauck, (age 13)


So, the lesson to be learned about Rube Goldbergs is that simply an act of kindess goes a long way. Who knows, that strager that just complimented your shoes might have resulted because you smiled at that person without a home. 




Comments

  1. One day at school a girl took an idea for a chain-reaction science project, thought about it in terms of how people affect other people, and turned it into an idea for making the world a better place. How do you like that, Rube Goldberg?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for making a comment. It should be published in the next couple days .Have a Happy day!

Popular posts from this blog

Taron Hensley is a Pedophile.

Nine months later I emerge with the hopes of being vaccinated soon. FUcking hell. What a trip. This pandemic is going to require a lot of processing in the future but for now, I want to share and record some things I am very proud that I accomplished over this period of time. I was able to help start and run a campaign to eventually get my high school drama teacher who spread the rumor that I called the cops at a cast party which ruined my social life at that school while stalking me and my friends and constantly trying to get me in compromising and damn disgusting and gross situations. His charm to his superiors and the gaslighting and abuse of students has been heavily weighing on me in a way I have yet to fully deal with. I spoke out in high school and was silenced, threatened, and made to feel unwelcome. Yet the internet and living in a whole separate continent does wonders for confidence. I helped create a petition, gathered testimonies, and launched this campaign with my friends

Rainy Night Writing

There is something quite different about writing when it is raining outside than when it isn't. I despise my frozen toes and fingers, yet I love drinking chocolate almond milk with banana bread. It seems almost enchanting, like creativity is plopping on your rooftop. Writing in the rain, so odd. Writing in the rain It is like laughing during a thunder cloud, in perfect harmony with nature, rhyming and paralleling the weather, writing in the rain, creativity pours from you, as you hear the pitter patter, you wonder where the drops will all go, writing in the rain, a clean slate to begin again, a downpour of ideas, soon to come again, I love writing in the rain.

Outfits of Late Winter, and Early Spring

I hope you liked them!