Skip to main content

What I Now Think About Religion!

Hello! You may have seen some of my posts mentioning that I had a Bat Mitzvah or that I was raised Jewish. Well I am here to tell you that I have changed my mind about a bunch of stuff portioning to religion. Here are my thoughts (I wrote this the summer of 2013 and tweaked it a tad. Some I have copied and pasted from outside sources, yet it is what I believe.)


I
    Summer 2013
At my desk facing a gorgeous mountain



*Just to let you know I am trying not to bash religions. If you like your religion and it does good things for you and the universe, great! That rocks! But this is what feels right to ME. Also, my ideas are ever changing based on what I learn and experience.*


After reading Are You There God? It is Me Margret for the second time, I’ve been asking myself some questions about religion. I was born Jewish. Both of my parents are Jewish and my grandparents as well. I had my Bat Mitzvah in November of 2013 and I am realizing things about myself all the time. I’ve been a vegetarian for about a year now (I am vegan for 1 year now), I feel deeply connected to nature, and I love upcycling.
I don’t like the idea in some religions where there is a “holy land” because I believe that we should appreciate where we are right now and instead aspire to improving circumstances where we live vs. putting tons of time and effort into a land where only a small amount of people live so that it is the richest, best, most holy place. Instead, equally distribute it all over the world so that it is all holy. What about that?
Also, I don’t like how some people where crosses or stars. I understand that it shows pride for their beliefs, and it is cool when I see someone with symbol and they start talking to them about it. I also think they emit a certain exclusion vibe. That is why I wear a tree. I have a tree necklace that represents nature.
I also don’t like having services in another language. I have memorized so many prayers in Hebrew, It is crazy, but they have no meaning to me because I don’t understand Hebrew. If they were in English, that would be so enlightening. Just like how in the Old Catholic church, services were in Latin, and the priests could say what the bible read and say almost anything because the common people couldn’t understand what the bible said because they didn’t read Latin.
         I don’t like the idea of heaven, instead I see the ability to start again and reincarnate into another thing is even better because it is interesting, and a new experience where we can make a difference on Earth. You can reach bliss in the current state right now.  I once made up a song about what I was going to be in my next life. Maybe a ladybug or a rabbit, or a redwood. Who knows? Life isn’t a punishment and there is always hope. For those suffering, we need to help end their suffering so that they enjoy their time on Earth as much as possible. Life isn’t cheap, and it should be cherished.
Lastly, I don’t like the idea of a soul ruler over a religion such as the pope I think everyone should be the dictator over their own thoughts, and not abide by what other people think. Also with Catholicism, I don’t like the idea that if you do or are a certain thing, you will never have happiness. The idea of sins annoys me.
Now that I’ve talked about things that I don’t like about religions, I will talk about things I like about them. Starting with community.
I love that there is such a sense of community with your religion, that you can strike up a conversation about Bat Mitzvahs or that you can talk about you favorite deity.  Or go on community service trips. That is why I am so conflicted if I should grow up and not be a certain religion, or not raise my kids a certain religion, I and they will lose spiritual community.
I love tikkun olam or giving back to our community (in Hebrew) or the idea that you should commit a Mitzvah and day (random act of kindness.)  With most religions that unite us all is the idea that you should do unto others and they would do unto you (golden rule.) I love this sense of duty to make the world a better place. It is so great, this idea.
I also like holidays and the joy of celebrating something that happened and feeling joy thousands of years later. That is really cool. Then you have the whole traditional food aspect, a game, and BAM! Celebration.
My favorite and least favorite parts of religion have made me see what I personally believe. It is a mix of Jainism, Unitarianism, Buddhism, Paganism, and other religions I don’t know the name of. read more about the religions above at http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/.
I believe in a mixture of all these religions with a little thing of my own tossed in to become what I believe, think, and how I view life (which is ever changing as I change).
-There is a higher power or powers
-God is Mother Nature and all of her children: animals and plants, as well as human beings, contain living souls. Each of these souls is considered of equal value and should be treated with respect and compassion. Plants’ souls may be fairies.
- Life is sacred
-Be vegan and respect all life
-We are all connected.
- We are individually and collectively powerful by our thoughts and actions.
- We treat the Earth with utmost respect to ensure sustainability.
-  All beings deserve respect, liberty, and education no matter what sexual orientation, race, or customs.
-Mezuzahs can protect a sacred space. On the blessing inside instead of the v'ahavta, write “May Mother Nature protect this house, room, community, and world, while showering it with love, peace, and meaningfulness.
-Everyone has the right to seek truth and meaning for themselves, using: their intellect; their conscience and their own experience of life
 - We must resolve conflicts non- violently.
-We are one people.
-Live the Yolo life because you are only this life once
-The duty of the privileged is the help the less privileged
-Religious truth is not necessarily or primarily laid down either in scriptures, by a holy person or by a religious institution
  -Within certain core values each person can believe what they feel is right                                      
  -Religion should make a difference to the world, so be active in social justice and community work and commit a random act of kindness each day (Mitzvah)      
-Be U!

Happy religion adventuring!

Comments

  1. Hi Twig! I love this post! So much!!!! These are questions I ask myself all the time and I loved reading about your spiritual journey. Have you ever read or heard of a book called The Jew in the Lotus? It's by Roger Kamenetz. Here's part of the description: "While accompanying eight high–spirited Jewish delegates to Dharamsala, India, for a historic Buddhist–Jewish dialogue with the Dalai Lama, poet Rodger Kamenetz comes to understand the convergence of Buddhist and Jewish thought." It's a neat book and I think you might like it. You might also check out a program called Urban Adamah (www.urbanadamah.org) if you haven't already. Urban Adamah is an educational farm and community center in Berkeley, California, that integrates the practices of Jewish tradition, sustainable agriculture, mindfulness and social action to build loving, just and sustainable communities. They have volunteer opportunities and lots of educational opportunities and an incredibly beautiful outdoor Shabbat experience. Maybe we can meet up there for a Shabbat sometime :-) I'm so glad you are exploring different religions and asking such wonderful, big questions. I'd love to hear more about your thoughts as you continue to explore! KLAM, Autumn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for making a comment. It should be published in the next couple days .Have a Happy day!

Popular posts from this blog

Taron Hensley is a Pedophile.

Nine months later I emerge with the hopes of being vaccinated soon. FUcking hell. What a trip. This pandemic is going to require a lot of processing in the future but for now, I want to share and record some things I am very proud that I accomplished over this period of time. I was able to help start and run a campaign to eventually get my high school drama teacher who spread the rumor that I called the cops at a cast party which ruined my social life at that school while stalking me and my friends and constantly trying to get me in compromising and damn disgusting and gross situations. His charm to his superiors and the gaslighting and abuse of students has been heavily weighing on me in a way I have yet to fully deal with. I spoke out in high school and was silenced, threatened, and made to feel unwelcome. Yet the internet and living in a whole separate continent does wonders for confidence. I helped create a petition, gathered testimonies, and launched this campaign with my friends

Rainy Night Writing

There is something quite different about writing when it is raining outside than when it isn't. I despise my frozen toes and fingers, yet I love drinking chocolate almond milk with banana bread. It seems almost enchanting, like creativity is plopping on your rooftop. Writing in the rain, so odd. Writing in the rain It is like laughing during a thunder cloud, in perfect harmony with nature, rhyming and paralleling the weather, writing in the rain, creativity pours from you, as you hear the pitter patter, you wonder where the drops will all go, writing in the rain, a clean slate to begin again, a downpour of ideas, soon to come again, I love writing in the rain.

Outfits of Late Winter, and Early Spring

I hope you liked them!